Friday 15 October 2010

"Being Inspired" or "Finding Inspiration?"

"Butterfly, small sketch 6in x 4in
What motivates us to paint? As a professional artist, for me is it money? I know that I wouldn't spend every available spare moment (as I do) painting, if it was purely for money. Amateur or professionial, I believe that painting passionately from the heart produces the best paintings. But in the real world, there are times when we all lose direction or inspiration.

When this happens, it can help to change this question from "What subjects do we paint?" to "What subjects don't we paint?" and then ask yourself, could I?

I'm not sure why but, for me, butterflies have never been an inspiring subject to paint, but I decided to give it a go. The result's far from perfect, but I've "found inspiration" rather than "been inspired" and I think there is a difference. I'm eager to experiment further. Try to work on small pieces of paper to take the pressure from attempting to produce a masterpiece.
Swan, small sketch 6in x 4in
Riding high from finding inspiration from the butterfly, I decided to paint a small sketch of a swan. Again this is a subject that I wouldn't normally choose to paint. As with the butterfly, I'm not sure why. I think maybe I have not been enticed by the apparent colours in the subject.

Asking myself "could I?", I decided to have a go, but this time I threw in some unsual colours to base of the swan and some salt for texture in feathers. What I saw appearing on the paper was an exiciting light on the back of the swan which, I think, is great. I have found inspiration in this subect and can't wait to develop this idea.

It will be a case of developing, experimenting and enjoying these working processes as they evolve hopefully into larger and even more exciting paintings.

4 comments:

  1. I love these vibrant, beautiful and very inspiring sketches! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Maria, thanks for taking time to comment on my blog, I really appreciate this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These paintings are beautiful - So soft and watery :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. kaye the butterfly sketch and lavender is superb takes me back to summer ...

    ReplyDelete

Tulip Time - National Trust