Wednesday 3 April 2013

As if by magic.....


Having just posted a video of one of my paintings to youtube, I was delighted to receive the lovely comment....."as if by magic".  That is how I feel when painting with watercolour.  With the confidence to allow it time to move and mix on the paper, it can work magic on its own.  Resisting the urge to fiddle is one of the most important things about watercolour and  sometimes, but moving around the paper and painting as if you are plate-spinning, you can avoid staying in one place for too long and remove the urge to play "too much" in one area!

To see the video, please click on the link below

14 comments:

  1. This is a stunning painting and I thoroughly enjoyed watching you paint it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine, I'm so pleased that you enjoyed watching the video!

      Delete
  2. Hi Kaye,
    A lovely piece full of light and wonder. I've never achieved anything like magic in my paintings!
    I have 2 questions: Did you keep the painting wet throughout the process? How long (roughly) did it take in 'real' time.
    Thanks for posting the video. I must recommend to a lady who was painting swans in my painting class this morning.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, thanks for your comments - the painting is painted "wet" up until the close-up section of the beaks, then it is wet-on-dry. I think the painting took approximately 30 minutes or so in total. I'm so pleased that you have enjoyed the video!

      Delete
  3. I watched your video and I find it amazing to watch your process. This is a beautiful painting, thank you for sharing the video link.It does have a magical feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for leaving a comment Celia, glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. This is a simply beautiful piece Kaye and the video is super, the light you have caught is wonderful, absolutely love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith, lovely of you to watch and leave a comment :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi I recently got into watercolours and have found your pictures very inspirational. Good luck with your exhibition.

    BLUE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Blue! Thank you so much, I'm so pleased that you've got into watercolours - mind out thought, they're pretty addictive ;-)

      Delete
  6. A truly gorgeous and serene painting! I also love your header!

    ReplyDelete

Tulip Time - National Trust