Thursday 12 July 2012

Painting Loose Watercolours


Painting loose watercolours

I loved painting this......it was loose and the watercolours mingled and merged on the paper as I saw the image appearing as I had hoped it would.  I am beginning to understand my feelings when painting - never completely satisfied unless I'm allowing the watercolours to work together on the paper rather than being too controlled.  

I suppose this is my personal definition of looseness in watercolour - it's not an easy way to paint as it's quite bold in the application of water and pigment.

Thank you Dawn, ablanksheetofpaper for your blog entry on loose watercolours - it made me think!  So many people express a desire to loosen up with their watercolours and this means something different to each artist.  As your style evolves, each little experiment and attempt to reach a goal, takes you one step nearer!

www.kayeparmenter.co.uk

5 comments:

  1. beautiful Kaye as always - and thank you for the link to Dawn's blog - I know Dawn through Paint my Photo and didn't realise she had a blog so I'm now able to follow her

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read Dawn's blog an excellent piece and something we have discussed in great depth in the loose Group on PMP. Loose isn't for the faint hearted!!! I think your feelings partly sum up my thoughts too. I love seeing the colour mix and mingle on the paper, not too much water, not too little then not spoiling what you have!!!

    The swans are gorgeous and you have captured some beautiful light on them.... not easy with loose either. lovely lost edges and a sense of gentle movement through the water. I can see why you would love this painting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for viewing my blog, Kaye - glad that you liked the post - your paintings are beautifully loose and full of life and are something I aspire to achieve - one brushstroke and blob of paint and drop of water at a time, but a long way to go :) - these swans are so graceful and free!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kaye:) Wow, how beautiful! Love the way how they swim forward. The reflections on the water are so nice. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way: Love your banner, super super cute!!

    ReplyDelete

Tulip Time - National Trust